By Vera Anyagafu with agency report
Hollywood mogul, Harvey Weinstein has been found guilty of sexual assault and rape.
Weinstein who was convicted on Monday, February 24, 2020, according to agency report was guilty of sexual assault and rape, although, cleared of the most serious predatory sexual assault charges.
Harvey whose case was presided by a jury of seven men and five women was said to be guilty of criminal sexual acts in the first degree and rape in the third degree, a measure of vindication for the dozens of women who came out against the one-time all-powerful filmmaker.
Reportedly, the 67-year-old Oscar winner who produced films including “Shakespeare In Love” was found not guilty of first-degree rape and predatory sexual assault charges that could have seen him jailed for life.
The Time’s Up foundation, formed in the wake of the Weinstein case, hailed the verdict as marking “a new era of justice.”
“Abusers everywhere and the powerful forces that protect them should be on notice: There’s no going back,” it said in a statement.
According to reports, this is the most high-profile sex assault conviction in the United States since Bill Cosby was found guilty in 2018 of drugging and sexually assaulting a woman 15 years ago.
The decision was announced in a packed New York courtroom where some 100 people had gathered. The defendant, who attended the trial hunched over a walker, was shielded from view by police officers.
It was also stated that more than 80 women have accused Weinstein of sexual misconduct since allegations against him ignited the global reckoning against men abusing positions of power in October 2017.
But the jury considered charges related to just two: ex-actress Jessica Mann and former production assistant Mimi Haleyi, with many claims too old to prosecute.
One of the predatory sexual assault charges also included testimony from “The Sopranos” actress Annabella Sciorra, who said Weinstein raped her in her New York apartment in the winter of 1993-94.
Six women took the stand from the opening of testimony on January 22, to say they had been sexually assaulted by the Hollywood mogul.